Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thing #22 Week 9: eBooks and Audio eBooks

While searching in the World EBook Fair's site, I was amazed at the different types of books I could read. I read and selected books from the Children's Room of the New York Public Library with copyrights of1916 and others of different years. I was amazed at the ease and versatility that I could "turn" the pages without causing the pages to crumble. To be able to use these materials in a read only online format is unbelievable. I had never been to this particular site, but I can see how extremely useful this place can be for accessing books that could not be used before. I had visited LibriVox last year as part of a TWU course requirement, and what I like about this site is the beauty and richness of so many volunteers reading the selections. I then went to the "Best Places to Get Free Books" and I was absolutely amazed at the extent of the sites that offer book swaps. There is even a site called Wikibooks that allows you to have access to free educational textbooks. There are sites arranged by category, and the list is definitely endless as I have just realized that I have been peeking at all these different sites and it is already way past midnight. I seem to lose track of time because the play is certainly wonderful!

1 comment: